Essential Questions to Ask When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
No one wants to be involved in an accident, but unexpected events happen every single day. Whether it is a car accident, an injury at work or a slip and fall incident at a local business, a personal injury can strike any any time and turn your life upside down.
Dealing with a personal injury is never easy, and the costs involved in such an unexpected event can add up fast. Being the victim of a personal injury is a double whammy in many ways – not only are you likely to be unable to work, but you are also facing a number of unexpected expenses. From the cost of medical equipment and doctor visits to the high price of getting around, the consequences of even a minor injury can be severe.
That is why it is so important for anyone who suffers a personal injury to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Even if you do not think the injury is that severe, it is important to have legal representation in your corner. That back muscle you thought was only slightly stained could in fact be detached. The twinge in your ankle might be more severe than you first though – resulting in months of pain and even long-term disability.
If you are ready to contact a personal injury lawyer, there are some things you need to do to prepare for the meeting. While every personal injury law firm in town may be anxious to win your business, some lawyers are better at getting results than others. Here are a few critical questions you need to ask before deciding which personal injury law firm will best address your needs.
- How many similar cases have you represented? What were the results of those cases?
- Which areas of law do you specialize in? The legal profession is a specialty industry, and it is important to hire an expert in the field of personal injury. A criminal defense lawyer may be great for defending you against a DUI, but chances are they lack the skills to pursue a personal injury case.
- How long do you expect this case to take? While every personal injury case is unique, an experienced personal injury lawyer should be able to give you a rough timeframe.
- How many cases do you settle out of court and how many go to trial? While many personal injury lawsuits are settled out of court, a good lawyer will be prepared to go to court if necessary.
- How – and how often – will I receive updates on my case? Personal injury cases can take some time to resolve, and it is important to keep the lines of communication open as your case works its way through the system.
- Will I be able to speak directly to an attorney if I have a question? It is important to be able to reach the lawyer assigned to your case. Be wary of firms that direct you through a maze of paralegals and legal secretaries.
- What happens if I am unhappy with the proposed settlement by the insurance company? Are you willing to file a lawsuit on my behalf and act as my attorney in court?
- Can you provide references from past clients with similar personal injury claims? Be very suspicious of personal injury law firms that refuse or evade this simple request.
Hiring a personal injury law firm is a serious matter. No matter what the source of your injuries, getting the right representation will be critical. The questions outlined above can help you get the satisfaction – and the money – you deserve.
- Automobile Accidents (13)
- Bicycle Accidents (2)
- Boating Accidents (2)
- Business Disputes (5)
- Choosing a Personal Injury Lawyer in Florida (11)
- Construction Law (5)
- Defective Products (6)
- Foreclosure (2)
- Insurance Claims (3)
- Medical Malpractice (4)
- News (10)
- Personal Injury (14)
- Premises Liability (3)
- Settlements (1)
- Slips and Falls (3)
- Spinal Cord Injuries (2)
- Uncategorized (8)
- Workplace Injury (2)
- Wrongful Death (7)